Tuesday, March 10, 2009

School Starts

We gathered outside of Ela's house in the shade of an alder tree; about 12 women and half as many kids. It is the first day of class. These women have completed one year of literacy classes and with basic skills will continue their elementary education. Along with literacy classes I will have some time to host cooking classes with the women. I had made a list of recipes I thought the women might like to try; white bean and sweet potato soup, corn bread, chard torte, pizza. As soon I end the list the women erupt in conversation, in K'iche, with enthusiasm and giggles. The word 'pizza' was interspersed throughout the laughter, one women laughing so hard she almost falls off her chair. Ela informs me that they like the word 'pizza', that it is really funny to them. Ela asks me what recipe we should start with, because the women want to try them all. I say, "well, how about pizza?" and the laughter erupts all over again. 
Even though the rains are about two months away, we have begun to plant family gardens with the women. Catarina, who is on my committee plants brocoli, onion, radish, carrots, cilantro and cucumber on a beautifully prepared piece of land.  

Antonia, who is one of the 70 women in our group plants beets, carrots, radish and cucumber in her small garden while her daughter Ingrid is strapped to her back. 
At Catarina's house, an older women is back-strap weaving. This is the traditional manner of weaving in Guatemala. A yard of fabric can take a month to produce, but it is extremely fine quality weaving. This is why the women's clothing can cost up to 1,500 quetzales ($200) per item. 
****************
Monday March 9th was International Women's Day. Since I am working solely with women, I wanted to join in the festivities. Tomorrow the seven women of the Committee of Women for a New Dawn will join me in my home for a celebration. We will have tea and lemon cupcakes and talk about what it means to be a woman, all the roles women play and a history of women's rights in Guatemala. I hope to use this time to encouragement the women of this group and remind them that they are leaders in this community and that they have the power to produce change here. 

No comments: