Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cooking Class

Tuesdays and Wednesdays I have cooking classes in my room. For this first week eight women showed up each day and we had a great time together. The women love to make fun of my mannerisms; the way I shake my head or the way I still say "uh huh" when someone is talking to me. This week we made patties from a soy substitute called Protemas that is common here. The women loved them and I did not burn them, so we're off to a good start. 





Doña Ana, my 'grandma' here. She is so sweet and so small. Although my table is particularly tall, this shows just how little she is. 

2 comments:

sarahandrayschafer said...

Que increible, Katie! Las mujeres son bonitas. Puedes cocinar como las Guates? Donde encontrar las recitas?

te extrana, mi amiga.

blue said...

Protemas is a great product, isn`t it? I use it quite a bit . . . if you mix it into hamburger (after soaking it), it takes on the same flavor.

Love how the women are so fascinated by what you`re doing. Did you count the kids when you said 8 women showed up?
expatmom.info