Thursday, May 20, 2010

Last Visit with Doña Tina and Don Pedro

As many of my readers may know, but for those who don't, I am counting down my remaining days in Guatemala. I will return to Oregon by the end of the month. My early return is not attributed to any issues or frustrations in my work but only due to outside circumstances. As such, I am in the process of wrapping up the life I have participated in for the last year and a half. For Tuesday and Wednesday that meant a trip to Quiche to pack up Nic's house and have one last meal of doña Tina's fatty tortillas. 
It is about a 40 minute walk from Nic's door to doña Tina's gate. It starts on a path and ends on a bumpy dirt road and all along gives wonderful views of green pastures and corn fields with a back drop of cloud-hung mountains.
A local woman carries her laundry to a spring for the daily load.
Almost there at the split in the road...
Don Pedro and doña Tina live such a wonderfully simple life. The house they built in 1975: two rooms and a latrine.
Doña Tina's famous meal: Beans from her field seasoned with herbs from her garden, spiced with chile, cheese from her cow and hot, thick tortillas fresh from her woodstove, all washed down with weak, overly-sugared coffee. The meal is always eaten with good conversation and laughter and always finished with "Costal llena, corazon contenta"; Feedbag full, heart happy.
Don Pedro is a lover of animals. Their dalmatian dog just had 11 puppies that he was so proud to show off.
What a beauty.
Doña Tina has such a carefree, positive and content spirit. I will miss her greatly and remember her as an inspiration.

No comments: