Monday, May 10, 2010

Dia de la Madre

I had yet to attend a church service since arriving in Guate; at least not a church service that wasn't held outside and for someone's birthday. Ela invited me to church on Sunday as there were going to be activities for Mother's Day so I thought I'd go for it. Even though I had a fairly good idea of what it would be like (long, slow and in K'iche), I needed to cross "church service" off my Guate list. 
While the congregation was worshiping Ela and some other women were preparing the children for their presentation.
Ela spoke about the importance of a mother...
...while the children acted out a market scene. Ela emphasized the many roles that women play in Guatemalan culture and how even though they are almost always in the home they can be important financial contributors to the household.
The older children sang a song about mothers. After the presentation the sermon started. About ten minutes in Hendrick was already causing trouble (he didn't want to go in the first place. Earlier in the day when I asked him what time we would go he responded. "I'm not going because I have to eat lunch and then I have to go to bed at 6 p.m."). I gave him my camera and told him to keep busy.
He certainly did. Although there were a myriad of shots, here are some of my favorites. Isabel carries a jug full of overly sugared coffee from the kitchen to the service to serve with the chuchitos.
This one is incredible, I think maybe my favorite shot in all my time here. Just think of the perfect timing to get that drool just before it dropped, let alone the lighting, colors and composition.
I really like the perspective on this one. 
Today, Monday, there were Mother's Day activities at the school. I joined Ela for this one as well.
Upon arrival Ela was given a name tag custom made by Hendrick. It said Ela's name at the top, Hendrick's name at the bottom, and we think it said "I love you" somewhere in the middle.
Kids wait patiently for their turn to perform a traditional dance.
Hendrick and some of his classmates lip-synced to a song about mothers while strumming cardboard guitars.
Hendrick was very into his part.
Clash of cultures: An indigenous grandma with her indigenous granddaughter in an American flag bandana and watching indigenous little girls in mini-skirts and boots dancing to the Guatemalan equivalent of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun".
And those patient kids had their time to shine.
Faces of the crowd.
These little guys did a great dance to a banda song...this was my second favorite. After Hendrick's performance, of course. 

No comments: