Sunday, August 9, 2009

New Cooking Classes in an Old Town

Although things are good with my group of women here in my community, I've been wanting to work in other communities as well. A few months ago I visited Santa Catarina Ixtauacan Vieja. It is placed in a drooping green valley, about 20 minutes down a winding dirt road. It, like my community is 100% indigenous and has a recent history of defending indigenous rights. Needless to say, it is a beautiful and interesting place to visit. So, on my visit there a few months ago I met a sharp young woman, Antonia, who helps out with a women's group. I finally gave her a call and 5 days later I was working with a group of 17 young women, preparing to make chili.
Some women wait patiently while others chop veggies.
We cooked on a wood-burning stove. This thing puts out soo much heat! It made for some good chili.
Chopping veggies while the pot simmers. Served with hot tortillas this made for an excellent lunch. One woman told me she's never had anything so delicious. 
Me and a few of the ladies. Most of them were too shy for the camera, although they weren't shy in the group. These ladies are enthusiastic and friendly and I'm excited to continue to work with them and to learn more about their community. 

No comments: