Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Patzite Interview

Aldea Patzite is about a 20 minute walk from Chirijox on a dirt path, down and over a ravine and through pine trees. Ela, Hendrick and I walked there yesterday for a visit with one of Ela's friends. Paula's husband is the director of the primary school in Patzite and would be a good person to help me fill out a community survey. We interrupted them in the middle of a horror flick, but Francisco was kind enough to sit with me. I proceeded to ask him some basic questions; how many people in the community, what grows well, the economy. I thought my Spanish was getting pretty good, but multiple times during the interview, Francisco gave me a confused look and asked to see the question. By the end, I felt he was relieved that is was over so he could get back to his flick. Can't blame the guy. 
After, Paula walked Ela, Hendrick and I to the top of the community to a house of a woman who I gathered to be a priestess. We entered a room, painted pepto pink with a 6 foot ceiling, with support beams taking another 6 inches from that. I stood between the beams, my head almost touching the ceiling while the women chatted in K'iche. A dozen or so kids appeared at the doors and windows of the room and stared. When I turned my head to give a wink they giggled and scattered, only to return seconds later. After a few minutes, the woman pointed in my direction, still speaking in K'iche. Hendrick, always a quick wit, broke in. "Esta gringa esta la novia de Elkin"; this gringa is the girlfriend of Elkin. It is true that I tell Elkin, Ela's 7 month old son that I am his girlfriend. This always gets him a good laugh, that's why he uses it a lot. I said goodbye in K'iche to the family; je ba'. This got another good laugh, continuing until we were on our way back down the hill. 
The women of the committee took me here to look for clay. It is a short 10 minute walk from my front door. I was elated to know that there is a stream this close to my house. As you can see it is not much for might but provides all the natural beauty and tranquility needed to help keep me sane. We did also encounter small deposits of dark clay that we may be able to use for artisan projects. 

No comments: