Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Panqueques

For Hendrick's 6th birthday, Nic and I found the perfect gift. Hendrick LOVES Spriderman (pronounced speeder-mahn) and he LOVES pancakes (more, he loves sugar). While in a fancy grocery store in Puerto Escondido, Mexico, we spotted a pancake pan that burns the face on Spiderman on the pancake. Since we gave it to him on his birthday in late December I've been telling him I'll make him very special pancakes whenever he wants. Only yesterday did he take me up on the offer. 
He arrived at my house around 5:30 p.m.. He said he wasn't too hungry so he suggested we build some hunger over a game of Uno. Earlier that day Ela told me how Hendrick hadn't eaten much for lunch the day before. When she asked him about it he said it was because he was fat and shouldn't eat too much. I asked Hendrick about this over cards. He said, yes, he was fat but that it should be okay because as a person grows they loose their fat. But there was one thing Hendrick didn't understand; his grandpa that lives in another town is grown but he is still fat. See photo for reference. 

I explained to Hendrick that sometimes people grow and are thin and then as they get old they get fat again. It seemed to understand. 
After our Uno game we prepared to make the special pancakes. Hendrick asked if I had a chef's hat and coat. I looked around and gave him my pink frilly apron and a straw hat. 

He pulled up a stool to my big table and went to work mixing the batter. 
He was an eager chef's assistant. 
The final product: Chocolate chip, peanut butter, banana pancake. 
He said he had never tasted anything like it in the world and ate with the usual gusto.

No comments: