Thursday, February 11, 2010

From Scratch

Those who know me know I love to be in the kitchen. Living in rural Guatemala, I have enjoyed the challenge of making foods I love out of ingredients available and with the tools available. 
On days like today, for example, when plans get cancelled I like to browse recipes and see what inspires me. I've had a recipe for homemade raviolis bookmarked for a while now so I thought I'd go for it. 
As far as tools go, I am fortunate to have inherited a food processor from another volunteer, which made making the dough a snap. For the next step I had to use some muscle, rolling out the sheets of pasta as thin as my arms could bare. 
Ricotta is easy to make with powdered milk and using vinegar to curdle it, thus forming the cheese. I had some parmesan in the fridge and with some thyme from my garden, some lemon zest and a squirt of lemon juice from a lemon a friend gave me, I had my filling. (For those who were wondering, yes, the grapefruit-sized yellow thing in the back left is, in fact, a lemon.)
After piecing them all together I had an army of raviolis drying on my table. They will be enjoyed tonight in a white wine sauce and with good company.

2 comments:

Ray and Sarah Schafer said...

WOW Katie. I am so stinkin' impressed! And how yummy too... You're amazing...

Expat Mom said...

Wow, that is some lemon! Imagine the lemonade you could get from that thing. :)

I like making things from scratch myself and have learned a lot living without many of the ingredients we take for granted in North America.