Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Day at the Lake with the Chiroy's

I have kept in casual contact with the Chiroy's, the family I lived with during training. Irma, the middle sister, who I became close with in my three months living with them, had some vacations time (in Guatemala state jobs get a month of vacation in one chunk). She had called me a few weeks back and asked if 'we' could come visit. I was excited to have some time with Irma and her lovely young daughter, Estefani. As the time approached for her arrival I prepared the house and planned a special menu.
Upon arrival I was surprised to see her husband, Isaias and Marta, her mother, in the car as well. I immediately thought, "Typical Guatemalan style, failing to include important information in planning". After doing a quick count in my head of cups, plates, forks, plates/bowls and chairs in my house and realizing there would be enough, I became glad that the others had joined us as well. 
We enjoyed the evening chatting, catching up and dining on a specially prepared dinner and dessert (good thing there was just enough food!). We bedded down (also, just enough bed space!) and slept well, despite 'las bombas' from little Estefani. 
In the morning we had a relaxing breakfast of french toast and they invited me to join them at Lake Atitlan for the day. I cancelled my plans to plant with Benancio and got myself ready for a mini vacation!
A view over the lake with San Jorge in the forefront and Panajachel on the shore. In the background faintly are the volcanoes near Antigua, one of which is putting out smoke.
Estafani, hamming it up in front of Volcan Santiago and Volcan San Pedro.
The shore with 'lanchas' lined up while the drivers holler out prices to other lake-side towns.
Estefani and Marta.
Beautiful Irma and her first time at the lake.
Irma, fully enjoying her vacation, hired a 'lancha' to take a quick tour around the shores near Pana. Estefani was glued to me all day and sat right next to me even with all the boat seats open. Marta relaxes in the seats behind us.
Marta reaching to feel the warm water.
Although she looks sad, she was really very happy.
What a place.

No comments: