Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ixtauacan Feria '09

It is strange and exciting to be identifying events by year now. This December 13th marks 16 months in-country and this last Nov. 3rd marked my one year anniversary in my community. This year will be my second Christmas, Easter, Guatemalan Independence Day, birthday and every other event celebrated in Guatemala, and as such, also my last. This also marks the countdown until I leave, I can't believe how fast the time has gone. 
So, this posting is the second year at the Feria in Santa Catarina Ixtauacan Nueva. 
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially true on weekends, Nic and I like to do it up right. This day was breakfast burritos. Hendrick conveniently came to say good morning as we were serving up. 
No one can blame Hendrick for not eating with gusto. 
The church in Ixtauacan.
As with any feria, there are drunk men dressed in strange costumes with masks that dance to a live band, while a crowd gathers around to watch. This guy in the middle was particularly fascinated with the camera and made his way towards me, as I made my way away from the circle. 
Just like any carnival in the states, ferias are full of cotton candy and junk food, games and rides. Oh, and of course carnies too. 
While there we ran into the family, also making happy. 
The feria brings out old and young alike. 
Traditional clothing.

This year, like last year I went to see the rodeo in the make-shift wooden stadium for less than $2. 
The crowd really gets into this event. This guy in the forefront was giving commentary the whole time. 
This man, selling spicy peanuts with lime made rounds the whole event, often times blocking the view just when something exciting is happening. 
Complete with rodeo clowns. 
There is actually a sword behind that red cloth. And like last year I left before the end of the event so again, I don't know if they actually kill a bull or not, but I'm glad I wasn't there to see it if they do. 
Trying to sneak a peek of the action from outside. 
And, at least for Nic and I, no feria is complete without a recuerdo. This time, with a guest of honor: a drunk man in a freaky costume. 

No comments: