Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cerro Jox

The name of my village in K'iche means, "Atras de Cerro Jox", or "Behind Jox Hill". I see this hill, looming steep and green every time I look north. This last weekend, Benancio, Ela, Hendrick, Elkin, Nic and I packed up and took a walk up it. 
This is the view from where we started. We took a pickup up the hiway a bit so we could loop around the hill. From here we walked for about 30 minutes through pine forests. Even Benancio said we were in Oregon (not that he's been there, just that I've talked so much about it). It was a perfect day, warm and sunny with a cool wind. Even Hendrick commented on it: "What a fine day to be in the country". 
At the top of the hill is this small meadow, perfect for games. After lunch we got started on soccer, frisbee, keep-a-way and tag. It felt so good to run and play in a grassy field! 
Along the way I found a pair of orange and black feathers. I told Hendrick they were treasures and put them on his hat. Later, he moved them to the front of his hat and told me that he was a wolf and that he was going to eat me. 
After Hedrick attacked me he put the hat on my head and told me I was a wolf and that I should attach him. I must say, it was my best wolf impression to date. 
Hedrick picked up the frisbee technique pretty quick. 
Here Nic is honoring Michael Jackson by demonstrating his favorite Michael Jackson dance move. Only kidding, it is hard to see but the frisbee is in mid-flight.  
After watching from the shady side-lines, Elkin made his moves on the field. 
We encountered some great old trees on the way down the hill. This is a native oak.  
This is the valley where I live from the shoulder of Cerro Jox.  

No comments: