Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ode to Fernandito

I don't think I've given much mention to Fernandito. Fernando is the son of my counterpart's husband's sister. Got that? So if I am part of the family, then he would be my nephew. I feel like I've profiled some of the other folks in my life here in Guate, and now it is Fernandito's time to shine. 
****************
It was Fernando's (aka Fernandito or for short, Ener) birthday a few weekends ago. He has completed two years now. Sadly,  I have no pictures of the party or how sharp he looked as I had to take an unexpected and rapid trip to the capital that day. 
Fernando is a cute kid. He reminds me of a muppet. It has taken him probably the whole 6 months I've been at site to warm up to me. When I first arrived, when I would say hi to him he would cry, literally. Now, we're buds. When he comes up to my house to visit his grandpa, Don Juan, he comes right in my house is search of my giant exercise ball. I guess that's the sign of true friendship, when someone just walks in your house and takes your things. 
*****************
Ela and Benancio went to Xela yesterday. Whenever they go to Xela, they bring back weird cookies or candies for the kids. Yesterday, when Fernandito came up for a visit I thought he was eating ink. Turns out, it's a grape-flavored liquid candy that was all over his mouth, hands and dripping down his chin. See below. 
I had to get a photo of this. I was trying to get just his mouth, so Ana, a lady who helps care for him that was with him, told him to remove the candy from his mouth and smile. Here's what I got:
In case you need a close up, I have that too: 

3 comments:

Jackie said...

He is sooo adorable. I love your pictures!

Shadiddy said...

LMAO...I know you don't know me, but I'm a PC aspirant...this is the CUTEST thing I've ever seen!! :)

blue said...

What a cutie, he does look like a muppet! Reminds me of the faces my kids make when I try to take their photos.

Those grape rollers are actually pretty good, but the red ones are better. Have you seen the goo crayons yet? Those are the best Guatemalan candy EVER!

www.expatmom.info