Sunday, October 26, 2008

K´iche

Xsaqarik. Utz wach laa?
Utz maltiox. E le laa?
Jawi’ k’o le b’anib’alchulaj?

Good morning. How are you?
Good thanks. And you?
Where is the bathroom?

That was your first lesson in K’iche. I have many more to come. This language is mind-boggling. In population, it falls into the top 5 largest of the 23 Mayan languages spoken here in Guatemala.
There are 31 letters in the alphabet. There are 8 forms of conjugation. There are different conjugations for words that begin with consonants and for vowels. The conjugation may be in the beginning, middle or end of the word, depending on the form. To indicate present, past or future you change the first letter of the verb. If you use a conjugated verb in a sentence it is spelled differently than if you only use the conjugated verb alone.
It is an impressive language to hear spoken, and even more impressive once I was given a three hour lesson.
The majority of the people I am to work with at my site only speak K’cihe. I have heard that even attempting to speak an indigenous language makes huge steps towards building confianza with the women. Peace Corps will pay for me to have up to 160 hours of K’iche lessons. I want to give it my best shot. I mean, I’m already on my way with Good morning, how are you and my name is.

No comments: