Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mom and Dad Visit: Part 2, Chirijox

Seeking refuge from heat and humidity of the beach we headed into the chilly mountains and to Chirijox. After meeting the family and chatting a bit I took mom and dad out to meet a few families that I work with. 
One family, the Carrillos, were so excited to have visitors from the states. When we arrived the house was spotless and my parents were given gifts of textiles that the family makes. 
Manuel works as a weaver with this huge, wooden, foot-pedal operated loom. It's amazing to watch him at work and the rhythm he creates while weaving. I knew my dad would be interested to see a contraption like this. 
Doug, Magdalena, Manuel, Beth. 

Upon return to my house we enjoyed a wonderful lunch of white beans and pork with hot tortillas. After that, it was time to give out gifts, according to Hendrick's schedule of course. 
My parents brought maybe the best possible gift for any 5 year old boy: a Batman costume.
Hendrick immediately filled the role and even wears his costume to church. 
 
Doug and Beth with (from left) Isabel, doña Ana, Kata, Ela, Benancio, Batman and Elkin. 

No comments: