Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hendrick Turns 5

Nic and Hendrick "helping" me in the kitchen the day before the party. Ela asked me to bake a cake for Hendrick's birthday a few weeks ago. Later I found out one cake really meant 8 cakes. 
The birthday boy. All spiffed up for his big day. 
No party is a party in Guatemala without a religious service. This one lasted almost two hours and clearly didn't hold the attention of these kids. 
Patient kids wait for the service to end so they can take their turn at the pinatas. 
A view from the roof: chaos ensues as the pinatas are emptied. The roof was the safest place to be at that point. 
My family: Benancio, Ela, Hendrick and Elkin (the cutest and fattest Guatemalan kid out there)
After Ela asked Nic and I to sing Happy Birthday to Hendrick, in English, a capela, the candle was lit and Hendrick made a wish. We drew a car on the cake because for months Hendrick had been talking about how his dad was going to buy him a car for his birthday. Turns out he did get a powerwheels race car. It's still not as cool as the car I made on the cake though. 

No comments: