Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tuesday

It was feria in Santa Catarina Ixtahuacan this week. I hadn't visited Ixtahaucan yet, although it is the municipality that my aldea is under. To get there, I had to get off at the highest point on the InterAmerican highway. The altitude is evident; brilliant blue skies, cold gusts of wind and scrub vegetation with little trees. And of course the views. It was beautiful. 
Ferris wheels, some of them hand-cranked.
Yes, I saw The Bull Fighters of Suchitepequez. I entered the wood-plank stadium 40 minutes early to ensure a good seat. 
Before the show, the luchadores were preparing below the seats. I love this picture.  
 The stadium in true Guatemalan style; overcrowded. Here is the first luchador.
Notice only the arm of the luchador on the right, and the clown, yes, there was a clown, on the left.

Here the luchadores are tag-teaming this bull. After the luchadores left, two bull-riders came into the pen. They ride these things with no protection; helmet, pads, gloves. One rode backwards just for kicks. I left before the event ended, as the clouds had rolled in and I didn't want to get stuck leaving the stands with this crowd. The crowd was surprisingly quiet for an event like this, mostly getting rowdy when they pulled the tails on the bulls.

A final note: We've all heard it said, but really, don't touch your eye after handling chiles. Also, when handling chile loco, the pica doesn't go away from your hands even after a good nights rest. Beware removing morning crusties. 

No comments: