Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another Day

What a day today (although I feel as though I say this most days). Awake at 4:30 in order to arrive in Antigua by 6. After waiting at the bus change stop for nearly an hour, with plenty of buses passing, but none headed to Antigua, we arrive at 6:30. We load on a minibus and drive an hour and a half with our destination looming on the horizon the whole time: Volcan Pacaya. We hiked for only about an hour and a half before reaching a hole in the side of the mountain where lava oozed out slowly but steadily. We were literally walking on ground formed no more than a month ago, if not sooner. I was able to poke the lava with a stick, which very rapidly caught fire. A friend brought up a bag of strawberry flavored marshmallows and chocolate coated cookies. We made s’mores from the lava at nearly 8k feet. The ride home, in which I was fortunate enough to ride shotgun, provided for a contemplative view of the Guatemalan countryside. We passed through towns at the base of the volcano and milpas fields on the slopes of hills angled at 70 degrees. In Antigua we were welcomed with rain so heavy and steady it flooded the old cobblestone street to the sidewalks 8 inches above. Once on the bus home, I sat next to a young man who looked American, but one can never assume. He turned and asked me if I was with PC. Turns out, he’s finishing his service this Friday and headed back to South Carolina. This guy, like nearly every other returned volunteer I’ve talked to, got this look in his eye while talking about his experience. More than once he said, “Man, part of me really wishes I was in y’alls shoes”. All the while this guy was talking, a portly middle aged Guatemalan man was clinging to wet scraps of newspaper and magazine and eagerly listening in on our conversation. After our PC friend exited the bus, this Guatemalan man took his place next to me. He told me, in very broken English, that he attended college in Michigan and that he knew what were talking about. He began to speak, very passionately, at times almost yelling, about what each of us is going to do to change the world. What is the US going to do? What am I going to do? What is he going to do? What is my buddy Nic going to do? It was an intense bus ride home, and again made me wonder how the coming years will change my heart and mind.
So now, I sit in my room, the power has gone out and I am pretty pooped. This Wednesday marks three weeks here in Guate. It feels like more than that already.
Moving on to pictures. One is my Spanish teacher Isabel shopping at the market in Chimaltenango, the second largest city in Guate. We all went and then made pupusas (essentially quesadillas) at her house that afternoon. The camionetas (buses) are the traveling shrines that transport me from here to there. The adorable little girl is my host neice, Stafani. She’s pretty hilarious, we play peek a boo at the dinner table. The rest are Katie vs. Volcano. My camera is not the best so you may just have to believe that there is oozing lava just a few feet from me in these pictures. You will also have to believe how ridiculously hot it was.

2 comments:

DOUG MADER said...

kATIE,

Enjoy your blogs and pictures, they bring the reallity of your world to life. Miss you. Dad

Unknown said...

HI mader!!!
I am writing this note with little ms. analyse on my lap. Today we are going to meet Diane at the beauty supply so I can color her hair. Last time I went there I took the girls; you can imagine how much fun for a two year old to run around in that place. Well, just as I was done buying the stuff, I turn around and analyse had just dipped her finger in some "cream" stuff and stuck it into her mouth!!! The woman behind the counter was in complete shock as she had no idea if what she ate would KILL her. You have to give it to analyse though, I mean haven't you thought a time or two how great that would be to swipe your finger in some lotion and stick it in your mouth? come on.
Katie, I love your stories. You are going to change the world. I was talking with analyse today. She was asking me if the spider was going to bite her. I told her the spider was our friend and had great purpose in life. I told her that God created the spider to do very specific things and not to be afraid of them but to understand them and their perfect purpose. I them began to explain that God had also created her and sissy to great and mighty things; all for HIS glory. I went on and she seemed to really listen. I just want to also say the same to you Mader! You are created for mighty things in Christs name. He knows you and hears you and longs for you. He longs for your face to beam towards His and to hold your hand again. He wants to talk with you and make decisions together with you. Go deep Katie and find out why you are where you are.
I miss you so much and long to sit with you again over some dank coffee or a heady beer!!!
That is Eugene talk.
LOVES LOVES LOVES!!!!!!!!